BGF sponsors LSE 1000 Companies
Now in its third year, LSE Group 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain is rapidly becoming one of the most exciting ways to identify and applaud Britain’s brightest entrepreneurial talent. Not only are we very proud to continue to support the initiative, but we are also delighted that BGF itself features in this year’s list alongside so many businesses that we have invested in, met with and admire.
This year’s report highlights that 1,000 companies in the UK are expanding at an average of 50 per cent a year, and that sector and regional diversity continues to increase.
A full searchable database of all of the companies along with a downloadable pdf of the publication can be found online at www.1000companies.com
The report in numbers:
- Fast-growing companies are appearing in all regions of the UK, with 78 per cent headquartered outside London
- The companies are growing at an average of 50 per cent a year
- Beyond Greater London with 217 companies, Greater Manchester is a stand out city with 36 companies, followed by Leeds and Aberdeen, home to 16 companies each
- Wales and Northern Ireland’s SMEs are thriving with 25 more companies, compared to 2015’s report
- Scottish companies are fastest growing with 83 per cent annual average revenue growth
- Almost 25 per cent of the companies are from the construction, engineering and manufacturing sectors, demonstrating those industries’ ability to adapt and succeed despite challenging headwinds
- Engineering & construction firms include A&B Engineering (involved in Liverpool’s Albert Dock development) and Clugston Group (construction partners on Harrogate’s new exhibition hall).
- Sector diversity continues to be strong – Food & Drink, IT and Retail companies remain exceptionally well represented
- There are 17 per cent more Food & Drink companies compared to last year, an indication of increased consumer spending